Thursday, April 23, 2009

Satisfying his inner hippie

I'm very tempted by this ring from greenKarat for D's wedding band. (Ultimately, we are both going to select our own wedding bands, but D tends to be overwhelmed by choices—so we've agreed that I will limit them for him. I think he'll like this one.) It's made from recycled gold and copper, and carved to give the appearance of wood grain. Since he seems to want everything made of wood (seriously), and he's already liked all of the two-tone rings I've showed him; I suspect this one will be among his favorites. And I'm not too bummed about the $1,500 price tag... I'm prepared for worse!

1 comment:

  1. Depending on the carving, it may not even last very long with every day wear; my father's wedding band has entirely smoothed out in the last 35 years.

    I don't know if I entirely buy the idea of "post-consumer recycled" gold. I've never heard of gold, platinum, or any other precious metal being purposely thrown away; why do you think so many places have been offering to buy gold jewelry lately? It seems to me that most gold on the consumer market these days is recycled in one form or another, so I don't think I'd be willing to pay a premium for "green" PR.

    On the other hand: if you like the design and can't find it anywhere else for the same or better price, go for it. I just don't think I'd buy into the hype of the metal being "post-consumer" here.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation policy: I delete spam and comments in languages that I do not read.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin