Friday, October 23, 2009

Homegrown

Lavender is the herb of choice to inspire a natural (or nature-themed) wedding—just ask Miss Trail Mix or Mrs. Bear Cub. It's clear why, what with the beautiful scent and the pretty purple tips that add visual interest and a country-chic feel. But there just doesn't seem to be a lot of love for my favorite herb, the plain green rosemary, in weddings these days.

(source)

There's a big rosemary bush in the backyard of the house where I grew up, and everytime I smell it, it feels like home. Rosemary also symbolizes loyalty and remembrance, and what better time for such sentiments than a wedding?

Ceremony decorations (source)
Pre-fab favor idea? (source)
DIY favor! I like! (source)

When I thought of DIY-ing my flowers, the thought occurred to me to add some rosemary to my bouquet as a way to honor those loved ones who couldn't be with us at our wedding, as well as to provide the familiar comfort of the smell of my old backyard as I walk down the aisle. And it doesn't hurt that the texture it adds to a floral arrangement can be pretty lovely, too!

(source)
(source)
(source)

What do you think—do I smell a new theme here? I just found this herbal inspiration board and am drooling (and imagining home-baked rosemary sourdough bread) as I type this!

(source)

Did you find inspiration in unexpected places? Like, say, your childhood backyard, maybe? :)

4 comments:

  1. whooo, thanks for the shoutout and i love the idea of using rosemary, it's one of my favorite herbs, it smells so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well of course... your post is what made me start thinking of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful posting, I really enjoyed it thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! I recently started a garden and love the smell of the rosemary. I am definitely bookmarking this idea :)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation policy: I delete spam and comments in languages that I do not read.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin