Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Luck o' the Danish?

Since I'm second generation Pakistani, I think I probably feel a lot more connected to my ethnic heritage sometimes than D, whose ancestors started to arrive in the States in the early 17th Century. As a result, we've had a little bit of trouble finding creative ways to incorporate his ethnic traditions.

Our trip to Solvang earlier this year is about the only 'Bit o' Denmark' D can claim, aside from his genetics
(personal image)

So I while I still love the half-joking idea of giving out wrapped æbleskiver as wedding favors, D and I have been searching for other Danish wedding traditions that would be appropriate for us to incorporate. And lo, I think I have found it: the Danish Wedding Waltz!


The idea is that guests crowd around the couple, getting closer and closer until, at the end of the song, there isn't any more room for the bride and groom to move (is this, perhaps, when wedding guests cut the groom's socks? We're probably skipping that one, and the marzipan wedding cake, which will send the bride to the ER, ahem).

D and I don't have a "special song," really, so we're both kind of digging this as a first dance idea. What do you think? Would it be too hard to explain to guests what they are supposed to do?

What did you do to incorporate both of your cultures?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, do it! I went to a wedding where the bride was Bosnian and there was a similar sort of dance. The DJ did a good job of explaining the "rules" to everyone. It was so much fun, and one of the main things I remember about that wedding. Can't wait to hear how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I think it's perfect, you really should do it, perhaps the Best Man could explain it to the guests

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation policy: I delete spam and comments in languages that I do not read.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin